This domain is for sale, click here
Since Canon and Nikon are the two biggest actors on the market, with the advantage of having the most options of lenses and flashes and so on, these are the brands I will recommend.
For the moment, the cameras compared below, are the best entry level DSLR cameras from Canon and Nikon:
|Canon Rebel T3||Nikon D3200|
|Effective pixels||12.2 MPixels||24.2 MPixels|
|ISO||100 to 6400||100 to 6400|
|Shutter speed||1/4000 to 30 s||1/4000 to 30 s|
|Autofocus||9-point AF system||11-point AF system|
|Continuous shooting||3 fps||4 fps|
|Video||720p at 30fps||720p at 60fps|
1080p at 30fps
|Memory card||SD, SDHC, SDXC||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Dimensions(inches)||5.11 × 3.93 × 3.07||5.0 x 3.8 x 3.1|
|Weight(body only)||1.09 lb||1.00 lb|
|Battery life||700 Shots||540 Shots|
|Shutter lag||110 ms||276 ms|
|Release date||April 2011||April 2012|
|Amazon customer review||4.7 out of 5 stars||4.6 out of 5 stars|
|Price including lens||$449||$547|
Canon Rebel T3
This is a really good entry level DSLR camera and it has received excellent reviews from users. It is easy to use and produces crisp and clear photos. The battery life is good with power enough to shoot 700 shots.
It has a really nice price tag for such a good camera and is about $100 cheaper than the Nikon D3200. Canon Rebel T3 also have much less shutter lag than the Nikon D3200, 110 ms versus 276 ms (the shutter lag is the delay between pressing the button until a photo is taken).
Canon has recently released a new entry level camera called Rebel SL1, but it is still very expensive for what you get, therefore I do not recommend that one at the moment.
Choose Rebel T3 if:
- Most of your friends use Canon (which is a big advantage)
- Already have Canon lenses that you want to use
- Are on a budget, since it is about $100 cheaper than the D3200
- Think that the longer shutter lag time of D3200 will bother you
- Value the extra battery life
Link to buy the camera at Amazon.com: Canon Rebel T3
This is a very good entry level DSLR camera as well, and has also received excellent reviews.
It has almost twice as many pixels as the Rebel T3, which is good when you want to enlarge a photo or when you want to crop a part of the picture and still have many megapixels left. If you want to print a photo with the very nice resolution of 200 ppi, then you can get it at 30″ x 20″ with 24 Mpixels(Nikon D3200) compared to 21″ x 14″ with 12 Mpixels(Canon Rebel T3) .
It is also slightly faster when taking continuous photos, has slightly better autofocus and slightly bigger LCD screen than Canon Rebel T3.
Choose D3200 if:
- Most of your friends use Nikon (which is a big advantage)
- Already have Nikon lenses that you want to use
- Can afford the extra money, about $100, compared to Canon Rebel T3
- Value the extra resolution (24 Mpix vs 12 Mpix)
- Value the small extra advantages, like better autofocus and so on
- Want to shoot a lot of video, D3200 support 1080p HD video and external microphone
Link to buy the camera at Amazon.com: Nikon D3200